Moving is stressful, no matter what the situation is. To take some of the stress out of the move, use these incredibly convenient packing hacks. Spend less time and energy packing up your belongings and more time getting excited for your new home. These packing hacks are so useful you will wish you knew about them sooner!
- Keep clothes on a hanger and wrap them in a garbage bag. When you get to your new home, simply hang them in the closet and rip the bag off.
- Don’t empty out drawers. Use the drawers to store your clothes and slide them back into the dresser at your new house.
- Place small trinkets in your shoes so you don’t lose them.
- Use Ziploc bags to hold wires, chargers, and small electronics and place them all in the same box.
- Keep your mattress clean by putting a fitted sheet on both sides.
- Use your suitcases to pack clothing.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them to maximize space in drawers, boxes, and suitcases.
- Use scarves, tank tops, and pillowcases to wrap up breakable items.
- Pack jewelry in egg cartons to keep them from getting tangled or lost.
- Use a suitcase or something with wheels to pack heavy books.
- Use pots to hold small items like spices, wine glass tags, and more.
- Put clean socks around drinking glasses and wine glasses to pad them and keep them from breaking during the move.
- Use paper towels or cloth as padding between plates.
- Wrap utensil organizer in plastic wrap to keep it organized.
- Slide knives into oven mitts and wrap the end with a rubber band.
- Pack essential appliances like your coffee pot and toaster in a laundry basket for easy unpacking.
- Add padding to the bottom of boxes with plastic shopping bags, paper towels, or clothing.
- Use reusable grocery bags to pack your food.
- Keep cold food in a cooler or insulated bag. Make sure to pack these items on the day of the move.
- Stop grocery shopping the week before you move and try to eat as much food in the house as you can so you don’t have to move it.
- Pack pictures and mirrors vertically so there isn’t any weight on them.
- Tape an X across mirrors to prevent them from shattering or cracking.
- Store light bulbs in a Christmas ornament box too keep them from breaking.
- Pack the TV its original box so you know it fits perfectly and is safe.
- Put toilet paper rolls around wires and cords to keep them from unraveling.
- Pack heavy items on the bottom of the box and lighter items such as towels and sheets on top.
- Put pool noodles on the edges of large artwork and picture frames.
- Use vacuum seal bags to pack pillows and blankets to save room on the truck.
- Put artwork or pictures in a padded envelope to keep them from bending or crinkling.
- Wrap the legs of heavy furniture in newspaper or cloth so you can slide it without scratching the floors.
General Packing Hacks
- Label and color-code boxes by room so movers can place them in the correct room when unloading the truck.
- Place labels on the side of boxes, not on top so you can see it when stacked.
- Use similar sized boxes to make stacking and maneuvering easy.
- Cut holes in the side of cardboard boxes to create handles and make carrying them easier.
- Pack an essentials box full of items you know you will use the day of and the day after.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over the neck of a bottle of soap, shampoo, etc. and screw the cap back on to keep it from leaking.
- Buy a safe to keep important documents and valuables in.
- Pack a weekend bag full of clothes to wear, your toothbrush, and other essentials so you don’t have to go through the boxes looking for something.
- Take it room by room. Start with the office and living areas. Leave the kitchen and bathroom for last.
- Take an inventory of each box so you know where everything is when you get to your new home.
Convenient Packing Hacks for a Stressful Move
If you are stressed about moving to your new home, use these packing hacks to relieve some of the stress. These hacks will not only save you time and resources but keep you organized for when you move into your home making it easier to unpack and get settled.
About Agent Lady: Cherise Wynne is a leading real estate agent in Philadelphia, helping home buyers and sellers navigate the City of Brotherly Love, with a special focus on first time home buyers. To chat about getting started with your first time home buying experience, call 215-518-5193 or click here.